NAME: The name of the
organization shall be NORTH HILLS SQUARES.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the
club is to engage in and promote Modern Western Square
A. Regular board meetings will be held at such times as designated by
the Executive Committee.
1. Voting on resolutions shall be confined to the elected officers present,
with the advisor voting in case of a tie. The advisor couple is entitled tone
vote. Other officers are entitled to one vote per person.
B. General Membership Meetings will be held in spring and fall with
the spring meeting being designated as the Annual Meeting and time for
1. General Membership Meeting must be announced at least two regular
dances preceding the scheduled meeting night.
2. A quorum of ¼ of the current club membership must be
3. Each member is entitled to one vote.
C. Proposed amendments shall be submitted to the general membership,
in writing, by the Executive Committee two consecutive weeks prior to the
General Membership Meeting for a vote. These can be passed by a majority vote
of the members present at that meeting.
D. Roberts Rules of Order shall be followed in conducting Executive
& General meetings.
E. Club delegates to the Western Pennsylvania Square & Round
Dance Federation should be encouraged to attend the Executive Committee
A. Membership shall be open to any Modern Western club level square
B. Beginning dancers will be welcomed at prescribed time periods.
Non-dancers will be welcomed as observers only. Members should not encourage
their dancing as this only results in confusion for
the other couples in the square.
C. All club members are expected to serve on committees and/or as
A. Elected officers shall be: President, Vice-President, Secretary,
and Treasurer…who, along with the immediate Past President, as advisor,
shall constitute the Executive Committee.
1. Should the office of President become vacant for any reason, the
Vice-President will assume the office. Should any other office become vacant,
the Executive Committee will appoint a replacement for that office.
B. Each office shall be filled by one or two member couples or one or
two member persons, sharing responsibilities designated for that particular
C. A Nominating Committee, appointed by the President, shall present
a slate of candidates for each office prior to the Annual Membership Meeting in
the spring, at which time elections will be held. Nominations will also be
accepted from the floor. Newly elected officers will assume duties after
installation at the last regular dance in May.
D. Elected officers shall be eligible to succeed themselves in any
DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS:
1. Assume over all responsibility of the
2. Appoint committee chairpersons as soon as possible after election.
3. Preside at all meetings, arrange for dance locations, secure
needed contracts, and take care of any necessary correspondence. Schedule guest
callers when regular caller is absent or appoint a willing club member to act
as Booking Coordinator.
4. See that the Constitution and By-Laws are upheld and revised as
1. Be prepared to substitute for any officer.
2. Serve as liaison between the club and beginners’ class. Present
and explain the tuition schedule and keep record of payments made…turning
all monies in to the treasurer. Inform students of scheduled student dances and
encourage their participation.
1. Collect admission charges and weekly raffle fees.
2. Keep a record of guests attending each dance.
3. Pay all bills and maintain financial records.
4. Submit a financial report at the spring and fall general
1. Keep minutes of all meetings.
2. Has responsibility of purchasing all needed kitchen supplies.
3. Be responsible for setting up kitchen duty schedules for club
members and coordinating Angel schedules for new classes.
4. Is responsible for making up a club information booklet for members
which includes: club roster, emergency phone chain, special dance committees,
kitchen duty and weekly Angel schedules.
E. Immediate Past President:
1. Will serve as advisor to the Executive Board.
DUES, ADMISSIONS, AND FEES:
A. Annual dues shall be set by a membership vote at a General
Membership Meeting. Payment can be made in the spring, but should be paid no
later than May 31st. Payment of annual dues validates membership in
the club and will entitle the member to vote on all issues, receive a financial
statement and enjoy other privileges. Dues payment also covers members under a
USDA Insurance, and also annual membership fees to the Local and State Square
Dance Federations within the state of Pennsylvania.
B. Current cost of club badges shall be borne by new dancers desiring
C. Current operational expenses will determine regular weekly
admission fees. These will be established by the Executive Committee and voted
on at a General Membership meeting.